Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Kill A Watt

I just bought a Kill A Watt power monitor to measure the power usage of the appliances in my house. I have a very low electricity bill, and I was interested in seeing just why it was so low. I'm also planning to leave the device at work for other people (with higher bills) to borrow and use, and presumably get more value from.

Initial wattage results for personal devices that are left on but idle:

  • 20" LCD monitor: 41 watts
  • Large multimedia laptop: 40 watts
    • When busy: 6 watts more
    • With screen on: 4 watts more
  • Small portable laptop: 15 watts
  • External hard drive: 7 watts
  • External speakers: 4 watts

So, leaving my computers and stuff on when I sleep and when I'm not at home is about 70 watts. When I'm home and using them, it's about 120 watts. The main lights in my place are flourescents and so I'll add about 30 watts for those. I'm not sure how much the fridge uses, and I'm not going to check. But that covers pretty much all the appliances in my apartment. Not bad really.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What did the meter cost?

You should be able to use it on the fridge quite fine. It will be cyclical. OTTOMH I would expect a few hundred watts when the compressor is running; 0 when stopped.