Friday, December 24, 2010

Body Pains

Last night, I rolled over in bed and left shoulder had a brief 'pop' with a matching burst of pain. Joint weakness and pains aren't unusual for me, but the left shoulder is kind of new. My comment was something like "Argh, my left shoulder just started hurting." to which Emily replied something like "If I had a dime for every time you said 'Argh, my [x] just started hurting"...
This got us thinking. I do say things like that a lot, just because of random joint problems I have. The following is a list of a few common phrases in our house. They apply to pretty much any joint (hip, knee, elbow, shoulder, fingers, wrists) because I've had problems with all of them at some times. I've even woken up to find my fingertips 'popped out' because I'd slept on them. Twice.
  • Hmm, I think I just did something to my [x]. It doesn't feel right.
  • Hmm, my [x] just started hurting. I think that's new.
  • My [x] is playing up again. Can you do [y] for me?
  • My [x] feels odd. I'll try not to use it for a bit.
  • Heh. I stood up, and something went wrong. I should sit back down.
I used to fear that I won't be able to play with my kids the way I want to. Tow Adelaide around in the snow, carry her on my back, etc. Luckily, my body seems 'resilient'. No matter how often I get these pains, they'll go away with time and stretches.
On any given day I can never be sure of what my body will be able to do. But I can be sure that some day my joints and the planets will be aligned in their proper positions. If only for a little while.

No comments: