Sunday, February 26, 2006

Canadian Coinage

Australian coins are all very different sizes and the numbers really dominate the coins. And we call them "5 cents" and "10 cents" not "nickel" and "dime". So the last two times that I was in Canada I struggled with the coins. One time I just emptied all the coins from my wallet, held them out to the sales assistant and said "take whatever it is". Anyway, to stop that happening in future, a nice girl has given me set of flashcards to help me memorise them.

3 comments:

RealGrouchy said...

Wikipedia has a good writeup on Canadian coins, including the metal composition of the coins.

Pennies are evil and a waste of productivity. You can't buy anything for a penny anymore. If you get pennies, leave them in the "leave a penny, take a penny" bin on the counter. Or tell the server "no pennies, please", or throw them at them as a lesson for not rounding their prices.

Of all people, you Aussies should be taking the lead (um... pun?) in the campaign to get rid of these worthless coins!

- RG>

Bradley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bradley said...

I removed my original post because I couldn't figure out how to edit it. What I meant to say is the flash cards have a mistake in them. The animal on the quarter is not a moose. It is a caribou...moose are not as pretty, and they are bigger.

Cheers!