Sunday, May 13, 2007

Stress Levels

I've been trying to contain it, but my stress levels are way up at the moment. The wrist splint has been bothering me much more than most people know. There is new pressure at work as we attempt to alter our work practices. Other things in life are draining me every day. I am not eating well. I am not sleeping well.

All this means that, at the times when I should be working on my thesis, I am completely unable to think. I make no progress.

My body reacts to stress by making me feel sleepy. I feel very sleepy right now. :(

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I had my on again,off again ,on again fractured wrist earlier this year I found that sort of splint extremely uncomfortable. All I could use wth comfort was an elastic circular bandage from the thumb to half way up my arm. Maybe you could use similar for at least part of the day (maybe at night) to give you a bit of relief.

Anonymous said...

I had a cast on my arm for over a year - due to it being snapped into two (both bones! Radius and ulna. Looked like a Z immediately afterwards).

Your problem is of a different order. A clean break (even one that looked like a couple of sticks had been snapped and splintered) will heal in time. The problems we get from using computers all day can dog us for years.

I deal with my problems by swapping the mouse around, trying not to put pressure anywhere from the middle of the forearm to the hand and by doing as much arm strength building exercizes that I can (read: moving around a 1.2m wooden staff [flexibility/stretching] and an 8kg version [strength building]). It kind of works. When I feel pressure / pain I go back to it for a while.

I took a week off using computers for a week recently. It did absolute wonders for my arms, and my tan.