Saturday, August 18, 2007

Cow Takes Flag

I was playing Unreal Tournament last night, using the "Capture the Flag" rules. In this game, the players are split into two teams. The teams start on opposing sides of the field as in any regular sport - though to gamers it is called the "map" and players are said to "spawn" on opposing sides. From their starting positions, each team must try to steal a coloured "flag" located somewhere on the other team's side. It is a game of simultaneous attacking and defending, as you try to find the other team's flag, but prevent them from finding your own.

The human players were myself, Emily, and Jordan (a friend of hers from work), with five computer players added to fill up the teams. Emily and I were both on Blue team, while Jordan chose to be on Red team, opposing us.

Halfway through the game, I managed to find the Red flag. However, in front of it was Jordan (who is a very skilled player). I had to defeat Jordan before I could safely steal their flag.

Now, unknown to me, Emily had followed me throughout my attack and was preparing to steal the flag herself! While I fought with Jordan, I was treated to the amazing sight of a waddling two-legged cow flanking him to steal their flag! It was a brilliant and sneaky play, made absurd by her squat and furry choice of character. It was, for me, truly a sight to behold.

Unfortunately, I then lost the duel with Jordan, and Emily was shot in the rump as she tried to waddle away with the flag. Still, that sight of Emily, as a two-legged cow, flanking the defense and stealing the flag was the highlight of the game. :)

No comments: