Friday, March 07, 2008

Catch 23 Banking

Many people were suggesting that I fight the bank, and the situation was annoying me enough. Here's a copy of the first email I sent. Let's see how it goes:
To whom it may concern,

I was recently notified that my savings account with [bankname] would be changed from a fee-free account to a fee-paying account. I am now living in Canada, and so tried to close this account yesterday by calling [bankname]. However, I was advised that it is impossible to close the account without being physically present at a branch. It is clearly not possible for me to get to any [bankname] branch any time soon, but I would still like to have the account closed as soon as possible so as to avoid additional fees.

Please be aware that, within that one phone call, I was able to authenticate my identity, have my phone banking password reset, have my internet banking re-enabled, and have my account changed to a different "product". [bankname] seems perfectly happy to grant access to my money over the phone after passing simple challenge-response security questions. However, [bankname] claims to be unable to stop charging me fees for an account that I do not want, unless I make myself physically present. This seems an inappropriate way to treat a customer and certainly doesn't improve my view of [bankname]'s operations.

So, with all due respect, I insist that my account be closed and my money transferred to a different institution. I can provide the account details when requested.

Sincerely,
Peter Harvey.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand how the situation is frustrating for you but I think that being able to close your account over the phone with minimal security restrictions as fairly weak security. I'd rather have the peace of mind with the bank that you have in Australia.

-Andy

harves said...

Except they already give me access to all my money over the phone. What peace of mind do I have any more? If someone can impersonate me sufficiently well, then they can already transfer all my money to their own account, or request a new debit card be sent out. :(

PS. Australian banks allow you to transfer money to any other account by using telephone or online banking. You can transfer to accounts with different names at different institutions, and it is normally done overnight with no fees.