Sunday, April 20, 2008

Tax Filing

What a pain. My taxes are fairly straightforward - I have one job, a couple of bank accounts, and some charitable donations. Still, I almost fell asleep while filling out the forms. Stella (Emily's mum) did my taxes for me last year, and I'm very grateful for that. I would have used a free program called Studio Tax this year and submitted my taxes online, but I apparently am a special case. I am a "deemed resident" and so cannot submit online.

As a deemed resident I also don't pay provincial income taxes (yes, Canada still has separate federal and provincial income taxes). I pay extra federal taxes instead, and unfortunately that means I pay $830 more than a regular Canadian resident. I have a tax bill this year instead of a refund. I also have lots of incentive to change my resident status this year...

No comments: