Sunday, July 13, 2008

LiveCD For The Win

My laptop harddrive has been away for repairs, probably caused by chronic overheating in the laptop. This is now the 3rd time my laptop has successfully baked a drive. My laptop DVD drive also died many moons ago for unknown reasons. Just to make this clear, my computer currently has no internal harddrive, and no internal DVD drive. However, it does have an external DVD drive, and I do possess a Ubuntu Linux installation DVD.

Until the drive comes back (tomorrow?), I've been forced to run Ubuntu in 'live' or 'demo' mode, permanently mounted in the external DVD drive. This has resulted in my system being... less than stable. Every reboot requires a reinstall of various applications (Skype, Flash) and settings (chat clients, website passwords, etc). It's somewhat painful, but also somehow reassuring to know this can be done.

No comments: