Sunday, July 26, 2009

Perceiving Depth And Other Things

I perceive the world by using my own "mental model". Everyone does this, it's nothing special, but each model is different. For example, I know that my default mental model supports object relationships (eg. the chair is on the floor), body language (eg. the person is standing defensively), implications of decisions, etc. Most of the things I need to be able to function in my daily life.

However, this mental model does not actually include physical "space" or "depth". That information is discarded. I know that the chair is behind the desk, but that is all. I would have to look at the room again to tell you how big of a gap there is between the chair and the desk.

I've noticed this in the past, but noticed it much more on our recent trip. Emily was driving and so I had ample time to experiment with a few different mental models. For example, my normal mental model allows me to estimate the time until we pass an oncoming car. I can tell that a forest is densely packed with trees or not. I can tell when we are driving too quickly around a corner because I push too hard against the seat.

But with a bit of focus, I can switch to a mental model purely in terms of space. When using that model, I can tell you the number of car lengths between us and the surrounding cars. I can estimate the ratio between tree thickness and tree spacing - much greater physical detail than I normally work with. And I will think more about the tire grip on each corner, rather than the force I feel in my chair. It's a more accurate mental model of the physical world.

I feel this is something I should experiment with in the future. At the very least, it enhances certain physical experiences (eg. I can really feel the speed and turns of a rollercoaster, instead of just noting the time it takes to complete a loop or roll).

It may even help with my memory. I tend to find that "irrelevant" details are excluded from my default mental model, and so they are never included in my memory. I can notice that someone is upset or hurt, or needs help with something... but their name seems to be irrelevant. With a bit of effort, I might be able to change my mental model to accommodate this "irrelevant" information.

Of course, no single mental model will work in all situations. The "space" mental model does not help me determine a person's mood. I can tell you the length of their forearm in comparison to their thigh, and that their arms are currently across their chest with no space in between. However, the "space" mental model does not tell me that this is a defensive posture and that the person may be upset with something...

1 comment:

Danielle Daws said...

Sounds suspiciously like "The Matrix"...

;)