Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The Cost of Not Paying Attention

I recently came across a news report talking about the rather large cost of being interrupted. With 5 different instant messaging protocols to choose from, I can admit I've seen this in myself. So, when entering the workforce, I've decided to steel myself against interruptions. That means being able to take interruptions and temporarily shelve them until work is done.

When I was in my first year of undergraduate studies I could do this quite well. My friends can attest to that; I wasn't very social. I've become more social over the last few years, to the detriment of work. But I finally recalled an old habit of mine; rubber bands on my fingers.

Once I have a rubber band on my fingers I'm not in a social mood anymore; that's work time. Seems to be working well so far. Though I don't know where I put that rubber band right now. I guess that's why I'm posting here...

No comments: