Monday, March 27, 2006

Best Massage Ever

At our research lab they were working on a "vision system" for blind people. The would process live video and generate electrical impulses on a glove. This allowed blind people to "feel" their way around a room through their hands. They tested this on a blind person, who promptly freaked out because the impules were too strong. The researchers had to turn down the settings and then add extra resistors before it was low enough for his sensitive hands to stand it.

And so it makes a lot of sense that (in Taipei) you'll find massage centres staffed mostly by blind people. And not bad prices either. I got a 30 minute upper body massage for about $35 Australian, and it was fantastic. It was remedial as well, but she wasn't just "jamming her fingers in for the fun of it". I came out feeling much better. Highly recommended.

2 comments:

none said...

I don't go for massages. I went to come, voluntarily, to try to fix my lower back which had siezed up. The guy spent most of the time trying to make me cry (swear! swear!). I've only felt such pain when being bounced off of a dojo floor (and that experience was fun I might add). I doubt I'll ever go near one again without a serious recommendation.

harves said...

Had the same before when I went to the physio. He uses his elbow and most of his body weight in my leg muscles. That hurt. He said it hurt because acids that formed in the muscles were bonding the fibres together, and he was separating them out again with the pressure. The solution was to exercise more and get the acids moving out naturally.