Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Thesis Progress

In the last few months I haven't got much done on my thesis. I've been putting in hours where I can, trying to fix up my algorithm so that it works and (importantly) I can explain it. It's been a struggle to stay motivated, but I had a chat tonight with someone that went something like this:

Me: I've finished changing it. Hopefully it runs faster now.
Them: Yep, hopefully; that is why you changed it.

It's interesting to be reminded that I'm doing all this for a reason. Not to get my PhD - that's just a side effect. It's because I want to be the one to develop this algorithm. It's nice to be able to look at your work and say again "I want to be working on this; it's my effort and I will get results". It helps to think that.

1 comment:

Keith said...

Being creative and bringing something new into existence is very rewarding as this site mentions: http://www.uwsp.edu/education/lwilson/creativ/define.htm

Of course the words of Thomas Alva Edison are probably the best explanation of the process - “Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.”

Keep at it. You'll get there.